|Dwight D. Eisenhower:
Even this moderately conservative Republican gave us some long-term results that linger. His administration allowed the CIA to function as a ‘shadow’ government, disrupting regimes in other countries, e.g. Indonesia, Cambodia, Cuba, the Congo, and most of all, in Iran where Prime Minister Mosaddegh was overthrown (with CIA help) and the Shah was placed in power. Although the CIA today is somewhat more controlled, we inherited both the enmity of certain countries, such as Iran, and the allowance of secretive exploits by the CIA; such as current monitoring of personal phone calls, emails, other communications (and let us not forget the use of water-boarding under George W. Bush-Dick Cheney). Internal spying on countries both friendly and not so friendly are all extensions of the extra-curricular activities of the CIA and other intelligence branches in this and subsequent administrations.
|Beware those who live
and die by total warfare against others, including unchecked covert
operations – the consequences always come back to haunt us both at home and
- One or more Supreme Court nominees that will lean the Court to the Right for several generations, thus preventing all progressive values and programs from seeing the light of day. Meaning specifically, the loss of Roe vs. Wade and the right to a legal abortion. But that’s not all: it relegates women to criminal status, causes deaths from botched illegal abortions, and relegates women to a less competitive status.
- An opposition to: bargaining rights, the minimum wage (not just a raise but the concept itself), equal pay for equal work, paid family leave, promises to devastate our work force and their families for many years. All those white working men who believe Trump will take care of them will be toiling for peanuts. Trump will betray you just like Reagan betrayed the unions and workers who supported him.
- And guess what? Under Trump there will be a reduction in unemployment benefits, and no special programs for out-of-work or poverty-level wage earners.
- Other Government Benefits will not be readily available, like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Obamacare, CHIPs, transportation aid, rent subsidies, public housing units, retirement pensions, or social services. Low-wage earners are going to be out-of-luck. It would not be surprising to see the return of tent cities, work crews beholden to industry moguls; control of every aspect of the lives of those living mouth-to-mouth in the hands of the privileged bankers, financiers, manufacturers and industrialists. If you thought government hand-outs to those in poverty were reprehensible; wait until you see what the Trump crowd will be handing out, or not handing out, as the case may be.
- Just what do you expect will happen when the military and weapons of destruction are allowed to build up to enormous proportions in order to make America feel great again? Well, it won’t be to keep the peace. Trump has already threatened to use atomic weapons against ISIS, and some countries like North Korea and Libya and Syria are not on his all-time favorites list either. Anybody who messes with Trump will experience war as a first response. But war brings consequences that last for decades. We are still paying off war debt that has accumulated since WWII, and still dealing with the competition and enmity of former enemies.
- If the last week is any indication, we will have Mr. Trump to thank for a division of groups of people along lines that are designated by his government. His animosity toward Muslims, Mexicans, Syrians, and people of color, plus a few more categories like women and young protestors, tends to make the Wall he wants to build on our southern border a sinister image of walling off or segregating certain portions of our population. Perhaps internal walling-off will be less by physical walls then by means of restrictive policies, laws, regulations, rules and lack of opportunities. Why not? several of his Governor colleagues like Christie and Pence (V-P nominee) have already done so!
- Watch out for Trump trying to please Evangelicals by signing legislation that allows religious objections to health care provisions – birth control specifically. And, watch out for the creeping menace of religion inside government and vice versa (already begun under George W. Bush) to be continued under Donald Trump who wants immediately to remove any restrictions on churches regarding tax exemptions, private school support from tax dollars and eligibility for government grants.
- What about his commitment to “Law and Order?” Does that mean the police will be more militarized and more at war with their neighborhoods and communities rather than fulfilling their role as protectors of the populace? Does it mean riots in the streets will be controlled by murdering and wounding everyone who “looks like a criminal?” No one that I know wants to live under such conditions, because it will affect all of society, not just protestors or poor people or racial minorities. We are in for a dismal future dedicated to law and order rather than to liberty and justice for all.
“I don’t see this election as voting for Clinton. I see it as voting for The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Voting Rights Act, Food Stamps, Minimum Wage, Union Rights, the Affordable Care Act (ACA), Roe v. Wade, Marriage Equality, the Department of Education, National and Community Services Act, union activities by federal employees, environmental research at the Department of Energy, USAID, intercity and high-speed rail grants, Community Development Fund, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, Corporation for Public Broadcasting Subsidy, National Endowment for the Arts, National Endowment for the Humanities, a liberal majority on the Supreme Court for the next 30 years that will overturn Citizens United, plus whatever Senator Sanders can get done with a Democratic Senate and a Democratic President.
If Trump is elected, all that is gone. It’s not about Clinton. It’s about over 80 years of the Progressive Movement that we’re in danger of losing because we’re not looking at the bigger picture.”